On Books - Katie Allen from The Bookseller
Intriguingly, free is leading to e-book sales, it seems. Surveys by the BML and Bowker Publishing Services presented at the 2011 Books and Consumers Conference in London yesterday have revealed that a fifth of those surveyed cite free sampling of titles as their primary reason for buying digital. This figure leaps to a third in the US.
Other reasons for buying e-books include the cheaper price (23%), and space concerns (also 23%). The most popular reason (25%) was the ease of carrying titles, especially to take on holiday, while 20% said it was because e-books are more “green” and 18% were inspired by the range of titles available.
Newest is Mainstream’s biography, which was acquired six years ago but deemed too litigious to publish before her death.
Another author with a following possibly equally as massive is Christopher Paolini, whose Inheritance Cycle is to be completed this autumn with Inheritance released on 8th November. The story is already one of our most popular on the Bookseller website, perhaps indicative of the heartwarming eagerness of his fans: it’s enough to keep you feeling positive about publishing.
Most reviewed this week
1. A Widow's Story Joyce Carol Oates (Fourth Estate, 3rd March, £20, hb, 9780007388165)
2. When the Killing's Done T C Boyle (Bloomsbury, 7th March, £18.99, hb, 9781408811481)
3. Five Bells Gail Jones (Harvill Secker, 10th March, £16.99, hb, 9781846554025)
4. The Report Jessica Francis Kane (Portobello, 3rd March, £12.99, pb, 9781846272790)
5. The Omnipotent Magician Jane Brown (Chatto, 3rd March, £20, hb,9780701182120)
6. The Killer of Little Shepherds Douglas Starr (Simon & Schuster, 3rd March, £16.99, hb, 9780857201669)
7. Pigeon English Stephan Kelman (Bloomsbury, 7th March, £12.99, pb, 9781408810637)
8. The Paris Wife Paula McLain (Virago, 3rd March, £12.99, hb, 9781844086665)
9. Other People's Money Justin Cartwright (Bloomsbury, 7th March, £18.99, hb, 9781408803882)
10. Spring David Szalay (Jonathan Cape, 3rd March, £16.99, hb, 9780224091268)
Post a Comment