Thursday, April 29, 2010

MONUMENT BOOKS

I came across Monument Books first in Vientiane and then again in Luang Prabang. The Vientiane branch is about the size of Unity Books in Auckland and the branch here in Luang Prabang about half that size.
The stock in both was about 99% non-fiction with books in English, French & Lao. There was a small handful of fiction titles including books by Dan Brown and Robert Ludlum.
Both stores were air-conditioned and all books were wrapped in plastic "for protection" but notices around the store invited you to take them out of the plastic is you wished to look at them. The book shelving and furnishings in the stores were modern and attractive.

I bought some maps and postcards and noticed later on the bag that Monument Books also have branches at Phnom Penh and Siem Reap-Angkor International Airports in Cambodia.
They state they take Visa and Mastercard but on closer enquiry they said they would charge me an extra 20% to use Mastercard !!

Their byline is Monument Books - Best in Books in Cambodia & Laos.
That may be a fair claim, their two branches in Laos are the only bookstores I have come across so far.

Fortunately I bought several novels with me but I'm in danger of running out. I really need a Sony Book Reader or I-Pad when travelling!
So far I have read Charlotte Grimshaw's The Night Book, Stella Rimington's,,,,,,,,, and I have almsot finished Ian Rankin's first novel, The Flood. I have already written about The Night Book and comments on the latter two titles mentioned will be posted shortly.

www.monument-books.com

No comments: