Former leading New Zealand publisher and bookseller, and widely experienced judge of both the Commonwealth Writers Prize and the Montana New Zealand Book Awards, talks about what he is currently reading, what impresses him and what doesn't, along with chat about the international English language book scene, and links to sites of interest to booklovers.
Wednesday, January 26, 2011
Foyles to open in Bristol
open a sixth branch in Bristol. It will be Foyles’ first shop outside London for seventy years.
The new shop, which will open in early March, is in Cabot Circus, Bristol’s award winning retail and leisure destination which opened in September 2008. Home to over 120 shops, including 15 flagship stores, Cabot Circus – jointly owned by Land Securities and Hammerson - is situated in the heart of the city. Foyles at Quakers Friars, close to Harvey Nichols, Apple and Brasserie Blanc, will have just over 5,500 square feet on two floors. Current plans are to have a café, performance area and back-office functions on the upper floor with the ground floor exclusively devoted to books.
Foyles at Quakers Friars will open in early March and will be under the overall management of Susan Sinclair, who is now Divisional Manager, with additional responsibilities for Foyles’ branches in the City of London, St Pancras and The Royal Festival Hall . A new shop manager and staff will be recruited locally.
The shop will have over 13,000 titles featuring a range of fiction, children’s, cookery, art, history and travel books.
Sam Husain, CEO of Foyles, comments,
“We are thrilled to have the opportunity to bring Foyles to Bristol. When we won the Bookselling Company of the Year in May, we were praised for our ‘big values, bold ideas and bookselling prowess’ and we are really looking forward to sharing that expertise with the people of Bristol.”
Foyles recently opened in the City of London at One New Change in November. Its flagship store is on Charing Cross Road and its other bookshops are at the Royal Festival Hall on London’s South Bank, in St Pancras International and in Westfield London. Foyles was founded in 1903 by two brothers – William and Gilbert Foyle; trading on Charing Cross Road for over 100 years.
• Foyles has branches on Charing Cross Road, at Southbank Centre, in St Pancras International, Westfield London, and One New Change, as well as an e-commerce website http://www.foyles.co.uk/
• Foyles’ flagship store is at 113-119 Charing Cross Road, London WC2H 0EB
Tel: 020 7437 5660 Fax: 020 7434 1574 Opening hours are: Monday to Saturday 9.30am to 9pm; Sunday 11.30 to 6pm.
• Foyles Royal Festival Hall, Southbank Centre, London SE1 is open daily from 10am -10pm
• Foyles at St Pancras International is open Monday to Saturday 7am-9.30pm; Sunday 9am–8pm
• Foyles at Westfield London, Level Two, London W12 is open daily Monday to Wednesday 10am – 9pm, Thursday & Friday 10am - 10pm; Saturday 9am - 9pm; Sunday 12pm - 6pm
• Foyles at One New Change EC2 is open Monday-Wednesday and Friday from 10am - 7pm, Thursday from 10am – 8pm, Saturday from 10am – 6pm and Sunday from 11am – 5pm
• The Foyles website http://www.foyles.co.uk/ has over 1.2million books for sale as well as eBooks and eReaders alongside details of live stock availability from Charing Cross Road, events and signings
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment