Wednesday, September 09, 2015

Santa Montefiore: My younger self would be shocked at my husband

What your younger self would make of you today: author Santa Montefiore, 45, looks back...


Santa Montefiore at home in London
Photo: Julian Andrews

My husband Sebag [Simon Sebag Montefiore, the historian] would have come as quite a shock to my younger self. I grew up in a rickety Jacobean manor in Hampshire and had a quintessential English protestant upbringing with tennis, croquet and skiing holidays in Klosters, Switzerland. I'd have envisaged myself with someone English, from my family's social circle. My parents would know his parents and we'd live nearby, with Labradors.

If someone had told me I'd marry a writer from a Jewish background who didn't ski, I'd have said: "Not likely!" It never occurred to me that I'd fall for someone from a different culture (I converted to Judaism when we married) although looking back, I was always drawn to eccentric, creative characters. Slick, glossy, shallow people have never appealed. 

More

No comments: