‘In my other house too, books fill the floor-to-ceiling shelves’ … Jee Leong Koh. Photograph: Rob Whitworth/Alamy
In His Other House

In my other house too, books fill the floor-to-ceiling shelves,
not only books on stock markets, seven habits, ghost stories,
but also poetry, Arthur Yap, Cyril Wong, Alfian Sa’at,
and one who moved away and who wrote Days of No Name.

My father comes home from the power station. When rested
(and this is how I know this is not real) he reads to us again,
for the seventh time, Philip Jeyaretnam’s Abraham’s Promisein a quiet voice, unbroken by a frightened young supervisor.

And my beloved, knowing his cue, jumps up from the couch
to clear the dishes, for, he says, dishes don’t wash themselves.

Softly brightened by a feeling I do not hurry to identify,
I move to the back of him and put my arms around his waist.
His muscles twitch like the needle on a motorboat’s dashboard
as he turns a bone china plate against a rough cotton cloth.

The light from the window looks like a huge, blank sea.
In this other house there will be time to fill it but right now
the bell intones in silver, and here, on a surprise night visit,
are my sister and her two daughters coming through the door.


More