Thursday, November 19, 2015

Germaine Greer gives university lecture despite campaign to silence her

Greer told the audience at Cardiff University on Wednesday night that protesters had been “trying to frighten me off”, but added: “Here I am”.

Germaine Greer has said: ‘I just don’t think surgery turns a man into a woman.’

Germaine Greer has said: ‘I just don’t think surgery turns a man into a woman.’ Photograph: Michael Hall/Cardiff Univ
Defiant Germaine Greer gave a university lecture amid tight security despite a fierce campaign to stop her speaking because of the views she has expressed on transgender women.

She did not mention the issue during her lecture, but during questions was asked about the controversy. She said five women approached her on the way to Cardiff from London. “They said ‘I’m so glad that someone is saying what we think. We don’t think that post-operative males are women, but we are afraid to say so’. I will say so because I don’t believe they are women.”
More

No comments: