Tuesday, June 30, 2015

The Tuesday Poem


The Tuesday Poem this week is "Papatoetoe Poems" by Tony Beyer, selected by Keith Westwater: http://tuesdaypoem.blogspot.co.nz/2015/06/papatoetoe-poems-by-tony-beyer.html

Keith says about "Papatoetoe Poems":


I wasn't quite sure what I was going to find when I started reading the poems, other than reconnections with shared past places. What I also found were images that resonated with me - the words on the headstones in this detached green fingertip, and loose metal at the road-side/signed by footprints and hooves, and a line of poplars/thrashing as the wind comes on.

Tony's ability to evoke through his writing a universal New Zealand 1950s suburbia through these particular Papatoetoe instances impressed me - the billy left out for milk, the telephone party line, the paspalum fringing the clothesline, the boy across the road who was left behind in the childhood we all shared.

No comments: