Tuesday, August 04, 2009

From the alawys excellent Publishing Perpectives website:

By Arash Hejazi

My name is Arash Hejazi. I am an Iranian doctor, novelist and founder and editorial director of the Tehran-based Caravan Books Publishing House.
Sadly, I'm now better known for my association with the brutal murder of Neda Agha Soltan - as the doctor who tried to save her life and then went out into the world to tell her story. Neda's death was a brutal and horrible experience for me.
Before this terrible incident I was known primarily to others for my literary work, publishing writers ranging from Paulo Coelho (which I translated from the Portuguese myself) to Nobel Laureate J.M.G. Le Clezio. I was known as a free speech advocate and fought against censorship. I say 'I was' known for these things because I cannot return to Iran and am now being prosecuted in my own country for telling the truth. The Iranian intelligence services are looking for me and I cannot return. (read on...)

No comments: