Thursday, August 01, 2013

Debut poet wins place on Guardian First Book longlist

 

 
A debut book of poetry has won the 10th place on the Guardian First Book Award longlist after readers voted it their favourite.
The Shipwrecked House by Claire Trévien, published by East London independent press Penned in the Margins, has emerged as the winner from Guardian reader nominations, with one describing it as "a page turner and a slow burner at the same time."

The collection is the second debut poetry book to win the 10th place spot on the First Book longlist, following Sarah Jackson's collection Pelt in 2011.

Trévien said: "I'm very influenced by the sea, having grown up in a coastal town in Brittany, and I wanted to explore the legends, the history and the landscape. The other aspect is domestic violence – this is not a home that is on happy ground but has been thrown against the rocks."
She added: "I like to create my own forms, and I like it when content reflects form, I am trying to give an extra layer of interest for the reader."

The remaining nine titles on the longlist for the £10,000 award will be announced this summer.

No comments: