Following the execution of Troy Davis last week, filmmaker and author Michael Moore issued a blunt statement–calling for a boycott of Georgia over the controversial execution.
Moore wrote: “I encourage everyone I know to never travel to Georgia, never buy anything made in Georgia, to never do business in Georgia. I will ask my publisher to pull my book from every Georgia bookstore and if they won’t do that I will donate every dime of every royalty my book makes in Georgia to help defeat the racists and killers who run that state. I ask all Americans with a conscience to shun anything and everything to do with the murderous state of Georgia.”
UPDATE: Moore was unable to pull his book in Georgia, but will donate to the Innocence Project instead. A spokesperson for Georgia governor Nathan Deal responded with an equally blunt statement: “We think it’s cute that he thinks anyone in Georgia would buy his book.” (Via Publishers Weekly)