Monday, August 17, 2009

What passage or passages from a book, poem, short story or other literary work moved you so much that you've never forgotten it?
Join Liz Smith, Joan Ganz Cooney and Joni Evans in sharing the words that have moved you.
From WowOWow - Women on the Web

There is so much in so many of the books I’ve read that I feel like a parent with many children trying to say something that I’m sure will make them feel loved equally. I have already given my embrace to the thousands of quotations I have selected to open my column for the past 40 years.
I like E. L. Doctorow on writing: "It’s like driving a car at night. You never see further than your headlights. But you can make the whole trip that way."
This seems to me would apply to any long-term chore.
Or Raymond Chandler: "Technique alone is just an embroidered potholder."
Or William Faulkner: "We will be judged on the splendor of our failures."
Or Emily Dickinson: "The pedigree of honey dost not concern the bee; A clover, anytime, to him is aristocracy."
And then I have loved an anonymous limerick:
"There once was a man from St. Paul, who went to a fancy dressed ball. He said, ‘Yes, I’ll risk it. I’ll go as a biscuit.’ And a dog ate him up in the hall."
Read the rest at WowOWow.

No comments: