Tuesday, September 02, 2014

British Library gives teachers tools to inspire

The Discovering Literature website is an important cultural resource that can be enjoyed by all ages

Charlotte Bronte is one of the writers featured on the Discovering Literature website
Charlotte Bronte is one of the writers featured on the Discovering Literature website. Photograph: Rischgitz/Getty Images

If it hadn't been for a well-timed family visit to the Brontë Parsonage Museum, I doubt I would've finished Jane Eyre before my GCSE English literature exam. Simpering St John bored me, and I already knew the ending, having watched the film in class. Going to Haworth and seeing Charlotte Brontë's childhood writings, her letters and drawings, and the journal she kept as a young teacher, renewed my interest. Understanding the author and her times turned the novel from dusty set-text into something vital and affecting.
More

No comments: