Tuesday, September 23, 2014

The Tuesday Poem



The Tuesday Poem this week is 'Poroporoaki to the Lord My God: weaving the Via Dolorosa' by Anahera Gildea, selected by Helen Rickerby: 


Helen has written a fascinating essay about this poem and what it means to her, which is well worth reading in full. She begins:

"I came across this poem while typesetting the 32nd issue of JAAM literary magazine, the contents of which have been selected by this issue's guest editor, Dunedin writer Sue Wootton. The loose theme of the issue is ‘Shorelines’, and the poems, stories, creative non-fiction pieces and photographs in the issue deal with that theme in a variety of literal and non-literal ways.

The cover of JAAM 32

Sue has selected many amazing pieces for JAAM 32, but this poem is the one that has struck me the most. When trying to explain to my partner what this poem was, and why I loved it, I got really emotional in ways I didn’t expect. Not only is this a powerful poem, but it is so interconnected with other powerful stories and powerful art by powerful artists."

No comments: