Friday, August 16, 2013

George Orwell Teaches You How to Review Books

‘It’s rather hackwork,’ Orwell wrote to his friend, the writer Arthur Koestler, in 1946. ‘The chief bore is reading the books.’ The letter is reprinted from George Orwell: A Life in Letters, edited by Peter Davison and published this week by Liveright. Plus, why Orwell wrote 1984. 
 
WACHSFIGURENKABINETT ORWELL
AP

To Arthur Koestler

22 March 1946
27B Canonbury Square
Islington N 1

Dear Arthur,

The Manchester Evening News want to know whether, when I stop my reviewing for them (ie. end of April), you would like to take over my job for 6 months. I told them I didn’t think it was awfully likely you would, but that I would ask you. It’s rather hackwork, but it’s a regular 8 guineas a week (that is what they pay me—I expect you could get a bit more out of them) for about 900 words, in which one can say more or less what one likes. The chief bore is reading the books; on the other hand one gets out of this from time to time by doing general articles or dealing with reprints which one knows already. One retains the second rights. You might let me know as soon as possible if this idea has any attraction for you, as otherwise they will have to scout round for someone else.

Love to Mamaine.

Yours
George

P.S. [handwritten] I’ve contacted Malory Brown1 who thinks he will probably be able to come up at Easter. I’m going to have lunch with him on April 3rd & talk it over. Meanwhile could you let me know exactly what date he should come up to your place?
Read more

No comments: