Thursday, August 15, 2013

'As wonderful as self-publishing is, it does have its limits'

Talli Roland: 'As wonderful as self-publishing is, it does have its limits'

The comic romantic novelist explains that doing it herself has been empowering, but managing the business side can be distracting

Scroll down to recommend your own favourite self-published authors
  • theguardian.com,                
  •  
  • Talli Roland          
'I don't think self-publishing is for everyone' ? Talli Roland

Why did you decide to self-publish?

I had a very satisfactory experience working with a traditional publisher for my first two novels, but with hardly any distribution in print and 99% of my sales in ebooks, it made more sense for me to pay a one-off fee to an editor and cover designer, and keep the remainder of the profits for myself. Since striking out on my own, I have published three novels and two novellas, and hit the top 100 on Amazon UK three times. Leaving a traditional publisher was a risk, but it's one I don't regret at all.
I don't think self-publishing is for everyone, though. I'm very much of the mindset that authors are lucky to be living in a time when there are so many options available to them. The rise of the hybrid author – one who traditionally publishes as well as self-publishes – shows that authors can pick and choose which model works best for them. I've recently signed a two-book deal with Amazon Publishing and I plan to continue to self-publish, too.
More

No comments: