The award is made for the best crime, mystery, or thriller novel written by a New Zealand citizen or resident, published in New Zealand during the previous year. Decided by a panel of local and international judges, it is named after New Zealand’s most successful crime writer, Dame Ngaio Marsh.
2012Longlist announced 12 June 2012.
- Collecting Cooper by Paul Cleave (Simon & Schuster)
- Luther: The Calling by Neil Cross (Simon & Schuster)
- Furt Ben from Aldaheit by Jack Eden (Pear Jam Books)
- Traces of red by Paddy Richardson (Penguin)
- By any means by Ben Sanders (HarperCollins)
- Bound by Vanda Symon (Penguin)
- The catastrophe by Ian Wedde (Victoria University Press)
- Blood men by Paul Cleave (Random House) Winner
- Captured by Neil Cross (Simon & Schuster)
- Hunting Blind by Paddy Richardson (Penguin)
- Slaughter Falls by Alix Bosco (Penguin)