One confessed eBook pirate asked the Reddit community an important question: “eBook pirates, how do you justify what you do?
We’ve collected seven responses below, complete with links to the comments thread. Publishers, authors and readers should all pay attention to these rationalizations–they will play an important role in the future of publishing.

If you are an author or publisher struggling with pirates, check out our two posts about dealing with piracy: How To Fight Book Pirates and Writers Engage with eBook Pirates.

7 Reasons People Pirate eBooks


1. “I’ve pirated electronic versions of books I already own physically.
2. “I limit myself to pirating things that are out-of-print or otherwise unavailable through a legal digital outlet.”
3. “I’m poor and I like to read, but I can’t pirate food, so I pirate everything else.
4. “The library rarely has the books I want to read.”
5. “I only pirate textbooks from school … They are ridiculously priced an I have a hard enough time paying tuition.”
6. “If the ebook is more expensive than the paper-version I sometimes pirate it out of annoyance.”
7. “pirating also lets me sample things i would not be willing to pay money for up front
(Photo via fdecomite)