Friday, July 13, 2012

Making a Difference - Owen Glenn opens up


Most of us probably only have a sense of Owen Glenn from flashy press headlines and the social pages but those in the know speak of a passionate and generous man equipped with a daunting and creative intellect; and unrelenting drive. But what belies this formidable personality, they say, is also a decent, principled and loyal New Zealander who has a deep sense of humility and an unfailing belief in others despite having ― from time to time ― been badly let down by some.

Glenn, who was an internationally-recognised leader in the logistics industry, recently sold OTS Logistics Group, his phenomenally successful global transport conglomerate, is back in the country later in July for the publication of his memoir, Making a Difference and to also announce  plans for another major local philanthropic project.
In bookshops from 17 July, Making a Difference, the proceeds of which go to  the Glenn Family Foundation, reveals a rich life, well-lived ― most of which, until now, has pretty much  remained untold in its entirety. 

From humble beginnings in New Zealand, Owen Glenn, now 72, went on to build a hugely successful global business empire and he is now   focusing his wealth and energies to deliver philanthropic benefits around the world and to assist others in pursuing business and entrepreneurial opportunities.
This fascinating memoir gives some insights into Glenn’s business philosophies and commercial strategies, especially his international business expansion and success.
The memoir also describes the considerable effort he is putting into his philanthropic work and also his life, growing up in India and New Zealand. Since 2005 he has contributed more than NZ$8 million to the Business School, and he also supports a range of other causes in New Zealand including the AUT Millennium Institute of Sport and Health, and New Zealand Hockey. Owen also founded the Glenn Family Foundation over 30 years ago, which continues its work in India to support village development and children being rescued from exploitation.

When a book was suggested to him Glenn says he really needed to sort out in his own mind first what the point of one would be before he committed to the project.
It would be important that the story would be told in his no-nonsense and frank style. He also hoped that as people read their way through it, they would learn something ― about people, about business, about the way, he believes, the world works. All this would also need to be peppered with entertaining anecdotes along the way because Glenn’s life has also always been about having fun.

So, after applying the same steely rigour that he brings to any decision, Glenn concluded that perhaps the time was now right for a memoir for several reasons.

Firstly, after having danced with death twice in recent years, it would be a chance for him to reflect on his own business and personal life – both the highs and the lows, warts and all.

Secondly, although he has a track-record of building successful global businesses from the ground up, negotiating complex mergers and acquisitions at the highest levels often requiring him to make some tough decisions, his “MO” has always come down to some fundamental and simple guiding principles which have got him through the toughest times and these might be of use to people in their own, daily lives especially given these troubled times. 

Thirdly, Glenn has strong views and concerns about the path New Zealand is currently taking and the book would provide him with a chance to get some debate going.

And, finally, it was time to put the record straight on a few things and, yes, including the Winston Peters matter.

Publication 17 July. Put your name down for it now I suggest.


Here is an excerpt that especially appealed to me:



My dear father. One of my first philanthropic exercises involved my father. Even when I had little or nothing, I always helped my parents, and this is a good example. I retell it not because I want to look good, but because, I believe, it’s a delightful story and it gave me so much pleasure to be able to repay my father in kind, for some of what he did for me.

It happened when I was first living in England. I was 28 or so, and had two kids and one on the way. I’d come out to New Zealand from London, just visiting really, and we were getting ready to go out somewhere and my father pulled out the one suit he had. I got very emotional just seeing that, and realising that my father had not had a new suit for 10 years. I just thought, Poor old Dad. He’d suffered health problems and couldn’t hold

a meaningful job down, so I was helping my parents, which I was pleased to be able to do, but I just thought, What else can I do for Dad? Which got me thinking . . .
So I wrote to Hugh Wright’s in Queen Street, who were the main men’s clothing retailer at the time.
I said to them, ‘I want to do something for my father, I’d like to invite him to come in to get a made-to-measure suit.’ Which was really something in those days. ‘I don’t want him to know about this, so I’m going to arrange for a friend to pick him up and bring him in to be measured, so he can select the cloth and so forth. Would you do this for me and tell me how much it all will cost?’
I got a letter back from the managing director confirming all the details.
I organised a friend of the family to pick up Dad and take him into the store. He was great. He said to Dad, ‘Oh let’s just wander around.’ My dad didn’t do that sort of thing and he was wondering what the hell was going on.
Hugh Wright’s guys were waiting and they came over and said, ‘You’re Mr Glenn? Good. Come with us.’
The master tailor was ready. He explained to my father what it was all about, and Dad was very touched, shed a few tears. They measured him and he chose a fabric. He came back for two fittings; he got his suit. The next time I came out from England he met me at the airport in the suit. Proud as punch!
What a moment!

No comments: