Tuesday, October 16, 2007

YOU LEARN TO DO IT BY DOING IT


This is a maxim to which Bookman Beattie has long subscribed so I was very interested today to read the following. I believe it applies to almost everything in life from children learning skills, (including reading), to learning any new job,to running a bookshop or publishing books.


"Nothing of what I've done is by a business plan. I was an English major who didn't know what sales tax was before I got into this business. Basically I've learned this business just by doing. I had a sense of purpose and a sense of mission and a sense of passion. I had a very strong sense of what an independent bookstore ought to be. That's what informed everything I've done for the past 25 years."


Mitchell Kaplan, Books & Books owner and ABA president, in an interview in the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

No comments: