Tuesday, October 23, 2007


JAMIE AT HOME

Very envious of Mike Holland's tour of Jamie's garden as seen on Close Up on TV One this evening. Lucky boy Mike.

I took the accompanying pic in a London tube station last week showing an ad for Jamie's latest book. I was impressed with the amount of book advertising I saw in and around the tube stations.
I bought some broad beans (my favourite vegetable but sadly such a short season) and peas from Bhana Brothers in Ponsonby Road over the weekend and made Incredible smashed peas and broad beans on toast, a recipe to be found on page 156 of Jamie at Home. It was fab, even if I say so myself.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for mentioning this show which I had missed. Just watched it on TVNZ On Demand. Such a fabulous garden though I had a few doubts about Jamie's knowledge when he was extolling the virtues of the 'marigold' leaves which were actually nasturtiums. If people start adding actual marigold leaves to their food they'll get a nasty shock as they don't taste good at all (but do a great job of repelling insects in the garden), the flowers are good to add to a salad but not the leaves - whereas the nasturtium leaves (which is what Jamie was actually picking) are just as delicious as he says.

Beattie's Book Blog said...

Thanks nzbookgirl.
Yes we noticed his mistake too. I'm sure he would know the difference between marigold leaves and nasturtium leaves. We just assumed he got the names mixed in his mind during the filming.
Certainly when you read his new book, Jamie at Home,you will see he is seriously into gardening, in fact this book is almost as much about gardening and eating fresh, as it is about cooking.