Monday, March 21, 2016

Gloria Steinem: ‘Do what you love so much you forget what time it is’

The 81-year-old feminist, writer and activist on having a depressed mother, her fear of public speaking, and Beyoncé 


Gloria Steinem, with shoulder-length hair, slightly smiling
‘I was never considered beautiful until I was a [well-known] feminist. Then I became aware of the reductionist commentary on “what a feminist looks like”’: Gloria Steinem. Photograph: Richard Saker for the Observer
The idea of being a feminist wasn’t present in the culture I grew up in. I thought I might be able to escape a female fate as an individual, but I didn’t understand it was possible to change the fate itself. That only became clear to me, thanks to other women, in the late 1960s.

My mother loved words. She knew a lot of poetry by heart. She had been a writer before I was born, though I didn’t know that till I was in my teens. Because she had given up her life [to raise a family] she was very depressed often, and unable to function. In many ways I feel I’m living out her unlived life.

I used to be a “pretty girl”, if I made an effort. But I was never considered beautiful until I was a [well-known] feminist. Then I became aware of the reductionist commentary on “what a feminist looks like”, and this attitude that if you were pretty enough to get a man, why would you want equal pay
More

No comments: