Sunday, March 06, 2016

Faulks: How Poems That Make Grown Women Cry made me cry

Is it a poet’s job to make the reader weep? Sebastian Faulks is moved to tears by an anthology of verse chosen by women

Poetry speaks to a primitive part of the brain

‘Poetry speaks to a primitive part of the brain.’ Photograph: Maxim Chuvashov/Getty Images/Blend Images
When I read Poems That Make Grown Women Cry, the collection edited by father and son Anthony and Ben Holden, I cried so much that my family thought I was concealing some terrible news. Take “Daylight Robbery” by Paul Henry: I have witnessed exactly the scene he describes, of a seven-year-old boy suddenly transformed into an independent young man by his first serious haircut, with both my sons, but I didn’t stand back far enough at the time to see the experience for what it was. The poem made me cry with a mixture of happiness and sorrow in reliving what Henry captures so well, but also with regret that I did not sufficiently inhabit the moment in my own life.
MORE

No comments: