Thursday, March 03, 2016

Beatrix Potter letter revealing author's struggle to write Peter Rabbit book goes under the hammer

Peter Rabbit was one of Beatrix Potter's most popular creations
Peter Rabbit was one of Beatrix Potter's most popular creations

An original Beatrix Potter letter, which reveals that the author was struggling to write a new Peter Rabbit book, is to be sold at auction on Saturday March 5.
The letter, which was written on August 11, 1908 and is addressed to a young boy and his sister, states: "I have been trying dreadfully hard to think about another story about 'Peter'. I thinked and thinked and thinked last year; but I didn't think enough to fill a book!"
Beatrix Potter Peter Rabbit
The author continues: "So I made a story about Jemima Puddleduck instead – and it will be in the shops very soon. I hope you will like it.
"I must try and do another rabbit book; all the little boys and girls like the rabbits best."
MORE

No comments: