Friday, August 15, 2014

Shifting Colours launch at Paper Plus Takapuna

Alison & Busby - $26.99
NZ distributors - Nationwide Book Distributors

Address from author Fiona Sussman's husband Luigi:

Thank you for joining us tonight to celebrate this very special event - the launch of Shifting 
Colours. A special thanks to those who have travelled from afar to be here on this proud 
occasion.
I know Fionas father , not only a publisher but the head of Heineman South Africa – who died
too young – would be especially proud and will be looking down on this moment with great 
delight. He probably would have had a lot of advice for me along the way – some of which I 
might add - Fiona has shared with me on his behalf – but I only have one thing to say on the 
matter “ You should have stuck around, published Fionas book, and saved me a lot of grief” --- who cares about nepotism.
Fionas mum Nedda, is here tonight, and will leave you in no doubt as to her pride – so be 
warned - dont let her corner you.

Fiona asked if I would please talk tonight -- and unlike most things I get asked to do -  I dug deep andthen said no, but only because of my innate fear and dislike for public speaking.
Unlike a writer who has to bravely put themselves out there - I dont!       And yet I have 
suffered the gestation period of this gem - which I would like to share has been 10 years  –
and according to Wikipedia five times the gestation  of an African elephant.

As an insider somebody needs to get my story out. Now there are a few writers here tonight. 
Sorry it is not you who interests me  but if any of your partners have been dragged along, 
please meet me later in the opposite corner to Fionas mum.  I take this opportunity to invite 
the rest of the audience to the launch of our debut novel – “Living with a writer”.

In all seriousness – it is and has been a privilege to be a part of Fionas journey. To shelve all 
her years of study to become a doctor and her popular medical practice to then pick up the 
quill took courage.
We have watched her grow from someone who was tentative and uncertain of her talent to the confident writer we celebrate today.
There have been tears, tantrums and many rejected and returned manuscripts along the way, fortunately interspersed with several acknowledgements of her talent with her winning 
prestigious short story competitions and national radio broadcasts to boot.

We only had her short stories to go by as Fiona never lets anyone  – not even those in the 
inner circle - read her works in progress for fear we would somehow alter the creative flow.
However from the first read of the first paragraph of Shifting Colours I knew this book was a 
winner. One cannot help being captivated by her beautiful and vivid descriptions of SA – the 
smells, situations and characters immediately struck a chord with me as I am sure they will with
you , and childhood memories flooded home. Her imagery is so powerful that I know in the 
future you will say – “I am glad I read the book first!”

 Luigi addresses large audience
Busy signing copies
Author, husband & mother

No comments: