Saturday, August 23, 2014

Will Self: 'I had planned to write Jaws without the shark'

Will Self explains how the cinematic technique and characters of Steven Spielberg's 1970s classic led him to contemplate a novel about post-traumatic stress disorder and nuclear fission

1975, JAWS
Just when you thought it was safe … alarm on Amity Island beach. Photograph: Allstar Picture Library

A couple of years ago, when I was in the closing stages of working on my last novel, Umbrella, I began casting around for a new subject for the next one. I greatly admire WG Sebald's The Emigrants, which tells the stories of six refugees from the Nazis without heavy-handedly describing the mechanics of the persecution that the regime visited on Jews, gay people and the politically suspect. Following this pattern, I conceived of writing a novel about some of the more interesting characters I had known during my two decades in the netherworld of drug addiction. I would fictionalise their stories, of course, but more importantly, I would never mention, or otherwise allude to, the reasons why these people lost jobs, experienced relationship-breakdown, moved abroad, and went to hospital or jail. Their addiction would remain a strange sort of absence, deforming the course of their lives but never emerging into the full light of day. My working rubric for the novel was "Jaws without the shark".
    I began by interviewing the woman with whom I'd begun using heroin in the late 1970s – she has, thankfully, long since cleaned up from the drug, and has a sharp and incisive angle on the soft, psychic underbelly that insulated her from the sordid realities of her active addiction. At the same time, I read Peter Benchley's Jaws and watched Steven Spielberg's film adaptation of the novel. I'm not altogether sure why I did this, beyond a background suspicion that I might find something usable in this material. In the event, what struck me hard was a discrepancy between the film's script (which Benchley himself worked on), and the text of the novel.
    More

    No comments: