Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Don Donovan's World - Meathouse, Glen Helen, West MacDonnell Ranges, Australia

Ramblings of a much published New Zealand author - 09 October 2012

Leaves From My Sketchbooks. 51. Meathouse, Glen Helen, West MacDonnell Ranges, Australia


Glen Helen, like an oasis, is a destination. It's a spot recognizable as civilized in a very uncivilized desert-like moon-scape. This is its century old meathouse which, I guess, must have been where they stored meat before refrigerators were installed. I imagine that the thatch insulated it to some extent but I shudder to think what the meat might have been like in Glen Helen's oppressive heat.

As far as I was concerned it represented something draw-able in a place that offered few satisfactory subjects for pen and ink.


© DON DONOVAN. 
donovan@ihug.co.nz
www. don-donovan.blogspot.co.nz

No comments: