Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Mysterious book in my mail

Yesterday I received a parcel from Oxford University Press, 198 Madison Ave., New York and before I even opened it I thought to myself this must have been sent to me in error. Open opening I found it to contain a review copy of TROUBLE IN MIND - Stories from a Neuropsychologist's Casebook - and I knew it had very definitely be sent to me by mistake. After all I know absolutely nothing about neuropsychology and am certainly not capable of reviewing a book on the subject.

Puzzled I flicked through the book reading occasional pieces and then the penny dropped. The author's name rang a slight bell so I flicked to the end to see if there was any biographical information on Jenni Ogden. There was - she lives with her husband on Great Barrier Island off NZ's north eastern coast. I then went to her website (www.jenniogden.com)  and found this:

WELCOME TO WRITING OFF-GRID!
“Don’t give up your day job” is wise counsel often given to passionate writers who dream about writing full-time. I wrote Fractured Minds in between researching, teaching and practice in clinical neuropsychology, not to mention all the tasks that go along with bringing up a family of four. After 22 years as a university professor, the four children long since fledged, I decided it was time to move on to the next life stage and have a go at living the writing dream full time. Husband John -- also a new ex-academic – and I sold our house in Auckland and moved lock, stock and barrel to our holiday home on Great Barrier Island. And after three years of this life we can recommend it; baby-boomers can work in their highly paid jobs into their late eighties if that’s what makes them happy, but there are other options! Take early “retirement” so you have time to live that dream, whether it is writing, or simply reading and gardening, before it’s too late. You may well be surprised by how many of the money-devouring trappings you used to think you needed are of no moment in your new life. And while investing your hard-earned savings wisely – you may live to be 100 – when you decide you have to go to that writers’ workshop or on that African safari, keep in mind that other wise saying, “A dollar saved is a dollar wasted!”
Take a moment to read about my new nonfiction book, Trouble In Mind, read my blog about living off-grid and reviews and links to the books I am reading, and hopefully, one day in the not too distant future, be one of the first to read about my debut novel. If you are interested in neuropsychology and clinical psychology, check out my new blog on the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website.

Check out her website: www.jenniogden.com - it is well constructed and interesting and you will be able to read more about her latest book, (she had previously written a text book, Fractured Minds).You will not be reading a review of Trouble in Mind from me! The subject matter is not for laypeople.
Pic above - Great Barrier island coastline from Jenni Ogden's website.

4 comments:

John O. said...

John O. has left a new comment on your post "Mysterious book in my mail":

I think you under-estimate 'laypeople'

Jenni Ogden said...

I do agree! "Trouble In Mind" is written for a general readership, and I hope that to enjoy it and understand it the reader does not have to be a neuropsychologist! If you find Oliver Sack's early case studies interesting, you might like this. My cases are similar, although I do include considerably more factual information than Sacks. Health professionals generally, and people who have experienced brain disorders in their family and friends may also find it interesting and hopefully, helpful. Then of course there are those of us who find our memories deteriorating as we age... In here you will find my personal story about the world's most studied amnesiac, Henry Molaison (HM). This will put your worries about your own memory into perspective!

Xanthe said...

The book does have particular appeal for those with a medical background even if not in psychology but this shouldn't preclude lay people from reading it at all. There is much to learn from the very personal experiences of the patients and their families in coping with a disease such as Parkinson's or the result of a head injury.

Xanthe said...

The book does have particular appeal for those with a medical background even if not in psychology but this shouldn't preclude lay people from reading it at all. There is much to learn from the very personal experiences of the patients and their families in coping with a disease such as Parkinson's or the result of a head injury.