Wednesday, February 04, 2015

Childrens Book News with PW - Medal winners reaction


Kwame Alexander on His 2015 Newbery Win: 'Overwhelmed with Joy'
"I'm floating," Kwame Alexander said, speaking to PW from his home in Reston, Va. He admitted, however, that the night before the Newbery announcement, he couldn't sleep. "I decided I would watch some TV, and read The Crossover again, and around 6 a.m. I went upstairs and got into bed, and at 7:16 a.m. the phone started ringing. My wife started screaming in my ear: 'Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh!' " When the Newbery committee began to speak to him, "They said 'medal,' and I asked, 'Are you sure it's not the Honor?' It was overwhelming. I was overwhelmed with joy." more

Dan Santat: ‘I Never Really Thought That
I Had a Chance’

Given the sense of humor that's present in so much of Dan Santat’s work, it shouldn’t come as much of a surprise that his first tweet after being named the winner of the 2015 Caldecott Medal reads as follows: "I’m so bummed the Patriots won the #SuperBowl last night. My whole day is ruined." The author-artist behind 'The Adventures of Beekle: An Unimaginary Friend' confessed to PW that he was "running on sheer excitement and the rush of the announcement." more
Jandy Nelson on Winning the 2015 Printz Medal: 'Thrilled to the Bone'
Last Saturday Jandy Nelson found out she'd won the Michael L. Printz Award for her second novel, I'll Give You the Sun, but had to keep the secret for two days. "I was so taken by surprise when they called," Nelson told PW. "They must have thought they were giving the award to a raving lunatic. I remember hearing it was the Printz Committee, and then I started screaming. I remember they were all clapping, and that made me burst into tears. It was one of the happiest, most exciting moments of my life." more



New Telgemeier, Kibuishi Deals
Mark Graphix’s 10-Year Anniversary

Scholastic plans a year of special convention events and giveaways of special prints by top artists including Jeff Smith, Raina Telgemeier, and Kazu Kibuishi, to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Graphix, its kids' graphic novel imprint. more

IN THE MEDIA

From the Associated Press:
To Kill a Mockingbird' Author Harper Lee to Publish Second Novel This Summer. Click here
From the New York Times:
Room for Debate: What Would It Mean to 'Fix' No Child Left Behind? Click here
From Flavorwire:
We Need Diverse Books: Can Children's Authors End Publishing Industry Prejudice — and Change the Way America Reads? Click here
From the Huffington Post:
Jeff Bridges Has 'Plenty' of Regrets About The Giver. Click here
From the Telegraph:
J.K. Rowling: Life for the Author After Harry Potter. Click here
From Tech Times:
John Green's Latest Book Has Rave Goodreads Reviews And It's Not Even Out Yet. Click here
From the Guardian:
An author at 15: "Teenage girls had to be ugly, naive or antisocial." Click here
From Brain Pickings:
Happy Birthday, Ursula Nordstrom: How the Greatest Patron Saint of Childhood Stood Up for Creativity Against Commercial Cowardice. Click here
From RoaldDahl.com:
Read Roald Dahl's letter about losing his daughter to the measles. Click here
From BuzzFeed:
37 Books To Read To Your Kids, Based On Their Favorite TV Shows. Click here


No comments: