From: Philip Gregan
Date: 30 May, 2007
RE: Claims regarding screwcaps
This memorandum is to update you on our investigations regarding the assertions made by Mr Keith Stewart of links between screwcap liners and cancer.
We have continued to investigate the assertions by Mr Stewart since they were first raised with us in late April. Our investigations indicate that there is no evidence to support allegations of a link between the screwcap liners used for New Zealand wine and cancer.
Our investigations have included:
· discussions with the New Zealand Food Safety Authority, and in particular their consultant toxicologist;
· discussions and information from the manufacturer and distributors of screwcaps and screwcap liners;
· review of research papers and risk assessments from various sources including the World Health Organisation and Codex Alimentarius;
· discussions with numerous national and international experts;
· correspondence and meeting with Mr Stewart.
We will inform you of any further developments.
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER