Monday, March 17, 2014

We Love This Book - Getting Published

HOW I GOT PUBLISHED
Author Deborah McKinlay discusses her journey on the road to being published

Despite the tsunami of information aimed at debut authors, there are plenty of mid-career writers who find themselves agentless, publisher-free and scrabbling for grocery money. I did. My first few (non-fiction) books did quite well in the late 1990s, and opened some helpful editorial doors: I worked for Cosmopolitan, Esquire and Vogue on the back of them. But times, and writers, change. When that seam ran out I went back to university, had a baby, and penned a novel, The View from Here
My original London agent was unenthusiastic about it and I had a feeling, anyway, that it might be better suited to the US market (it had several American characters). I managed to sell it myself to a small US publisher called Soho Press. While that success didn’t do a heck of a lot for the grocery money situation, it did boost my confidence, and having researched the American publishing scene, I became enamoured with it.

READ MORE >





FEATURES
POLITICIANS IN FICTION
William Thacker on the relationship between writers and politicians
MORE >


INSPIRATION FROM IRAQ 
Leilah Nadir expounds on the books about Iraq that most influenced her 

No comments: