Monday, September 02, 2013

Why You Need to Become an “Independent Publisher”

Image of Old Books on Shelf
Geoff Livingston - Copyblogger 

If you’re thinking about writing a book, you should be thinking about self-publishing it.
More and more established writers are choosing the independent path. In fact, the number of independently published titles tripled between 2006 and 2011.

There are many reasons for this change, including retaining artistic direction, a higher percentage of profits, and the increasing lack of editorial and marketing support offered by traditional publishing houses.
But that’s just the tip of the iceberg 

Yes, modern publishers rarely help their smaller authors do much with marketing. But the good publishers offer more than you think when it comes to editing and production. Producing an editorially sound product takes much more than creativity.
I just self-published my first science fiction novel, Exodus. It’s my fourth book overall, and my first independently produced one.

I’d like to let you in on a few valuable things I’ve learned in the process …
More

No comments: