Saturday, September 28, 2013

DARREN SHAN REVIEWS DOCTOR SLEEP by Stephen King

From We Love This Book

In the world of books, I am married to Stephen King. I read Salem’s Lot more than 30 years ago, and he is the author I have turned to most in the decades since. I’ve indulged in many affairs along the way – there have been times when,
 if I was asked for the name of my favourite author, I would answer with Jonathan Carroll or Clive Barker – but King is the one I keep returning to. I wasn’t sure what to make of the news that King was writing a sequel to The Shining. It was one of my favourite books of his, and I wasn’t convinced that a sequel would compare favourably with it. Would he give us another haunted hotel? Would Danny Torrance spiral off into the realms of madness as his father had before him? The answer, thankfully, is no. 
This isn’t a sequel in the usual sense, where we get more of what we were given first time round. King is not attempting to start his own Saw-like franchise. Instead we get a very different beast of a book, where the links to The Shining are important but not all-defining.

MORE >




No comments: