Monday, June 10, 2013

This week Poetry Box is a mystery

Paula Green

Each day I will see what happens (apart from Friday when I will post my favourite memory poems and the winner!)

Such a cool crisp clear sky day like today is made for poetry! Today I listened to a really old recording of TS Eliot reading a poem about cats he wrote for his godchildren last century! It was rather cool with lots of juicy rhyme  and rhythm. I was imagining what it would be like to have a great aunt or uncle write you a poem. Rather wonderful I expect!

When I was walking along the beach this morning there was mist hanging onto the waves (if you look carefully in the photo you can see it). It looked gorgeous. I got thinking about the way some poems have a bit of mist floating about (the poem doesn't show you everything), while other poems want a really clear picture. I like both kinds of poetry. Sometimes I write poems and I hide things and I don't tell you the whole story. Other times I write poems and I just want you to follow something really easily.
IMG_3238

So today I am giving you a mini challenge to write and tell me what kinds of poems you like to read or write. I am extending this to teachers, parents and poetry fans.  I will send my favourite adult letter a copy of 99 Ways into New Zealand Poetry (co-written by Harry Ricketts and me, and published by Random House in 2010). 

And I would love to post some letters by children!  Send to paulajoygreen@gmail.com. Include your name, age, year and name of school if you are a child. You may include your teacher's name and email address if you like.

Paula Green, PO Box 95078, Swanson, Waitakere 0653 Auckland




No comments: