Monday, June 17, 2013

This week on Poetry Box it's time for lunch and tasty treats



People are already talking about the food in my new book of poems (The Baker's Thumbprint). I got asked about it when I did my radio interview with Lynn Freeman and the one for the Nelson Mail. And I always say I love food (I love to eat it and I love to cook it!) as much as I love writing (I love to read as much as I love to write!).

So I have decided this week it will be food week (and maybe the next few!), but I am going to add something extra and that is the wonderful world of similes. We are also going to play with these. On Monday I will set you a food-poem challenge with a simile twist, on Tuesday I will give you some starting points, on Wednesday I will give you some poetry tips on similes, on Thursday it is time for poetry play, and on Friday I will share a food poem.

The tasty food-poem challenge: I challenge you to write a poem with food in it AND at least one simile. Tomorrow I will give you lots of starting points for food poems but my tip is to go on the hunt for words that will make my mouth water. Your poem might be from your imagination or it might be from a real experience. I am hoping some younger children will give this a go! You can be from Year 0 to Year 8!  Your poem can be really short or long (but no more than 20 lines).
Macaroni MoonSend to paulajoygreen@gmailcom. Include your name, age, year and name of school. You can include your teacher's email and name if you like. You have until Thursday July 4th 6pm.

The first winning poem (older) will get one of my precious copies of Macaroni Moon (I have only got a few left and it is out-of-print!) plus a a tasty cake of chocolate (ooh I hope it doesn't melt in the post!).
         
206269_157618850966435_3358613_n      
The second winning poem (younger) will get a copy of the glorious Marmaduke Duck and the Marmalade Jam by Juliette MacIver and Sarah Davis thanks to the lovely Scholastic (and a cake of tasty chocolate). This picture book is all about food. Everybody wants to taste Marmaduke Duck's marmalade jam and things go a bit wrong before they go a lot right!
Juliette has used lots of lively words to give her story zing and zip:
'He peeled it, zested it, sugared it, boiled,
stirred it, tested it, tasted it, toiled.
And if I have some extra favourite poems I might have to get some extra cakes of chocolate to post you! 

Paula Green, PO Box 95078, Swanson, Waitakere 0653 Auckland


No comments: