Thursday, June 13, 2013

Happy 40th Birthday, Usborne!

Wednesday, 12 June 2013 - Wordy Blog


Me, scouting for spies


Last night, I was plunged unexpectedly into the thrilling world of international spycraft. Little did I know when I received the invitation to Usborne Publishing's 40th Birthday party that it would lead me into a hotbed of espionage, but from the moment I walked into The Orangery at Kensington Palace, it became obvious that proceedings had been infiltrated by a number of secret agents.




"Us, Madam? We're just waiters!"
Some were working undercover as waiters and waitresses, serving up delicious canapes and cocktails, others were attempting to blend into the background. A few were skulking around the bushes, attempting to overhear conversations and looking very shifty. Warily, I accepted a glass of champagne and did my best to navigate the room full of fabulous literary stars, never quite sure who I could trust and who I couldn't. Did Kay Woodward wink at me or was she trying to warn me about something? Was that really Philip Ardagh or a super-tall imposter? Frankly, the beard looked a little off but the overall effect was quite convincing.

Full story at Wordy Blog

No comments: