Ans Westra emigrated from Holland in 1957 and made her name photographing Maori, documentary style, including a controversial school journal essay, Washday at the Pa, in 1964. At 77 she has just published her latest photography book, a scathing attack on the destruction of the New Zealand landscape.

Ans Westra has been documenting New Zealand life for more than 50 years and at 77 has no plans to stop working. Photo / Supplied
Ans Westra has been documenting New Zealand life for more than 50 years and at 77 has no plans to stop working.

1. Is this new book the most political work you have done?
Absolutely. You can say all photography is political because it is an opinion. But I haven't always set out to be political. Washday at the Pa became a political football but I documented the scenes as I found it, not realising the very strong sentiments among Maori. I've always tried to see both sides of issues and be fair, but the present-day situation has now spurred me into wanting to raise my voice. I'm spurred on by what this government is doing and how greed is messing with the land.
2. You're very anti-foreign ownership of New Zealand - and yet you were a foreigner yourself. What are you angry about?
Foreigners are coming here and buying land and okay, they can't take it home, but they have lots of money and they make it impossible for the people of the land to buy. Then there is the destruction of it for so many reasons - for survival, for profit, for greed - and it's irreversible. It's permanent change. We all need to stop and think - is this really beneficial to the future?
3. Did you feel like a foreigner when you arrived in New Zealand?
My grandmother was saying to me when I came 'watch out for those Maori, they are hiding behind the trees and they will eat you'. Ha ha. When just one Maori said that I belonged, I felt at home.
More

Nga Tau ki Muri, Our Future, by Ans Westra is published by Suite Publishing.