Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Noelle McCarthy returning to Radio NZ


By John Drinnan - New Zealand Herald
 Wednesday Aug 8, 2012
Noelle McCarthy. Photo Natalie Slade

Noelle McCarthy. Photo Natalie Slade

Radio New Zealand has rehired Noelle McCarthy for its summer coverage and a job presenting and producing in its Auckland studios.
She has popped back from Cork to return to NZ.
McCarthy left in June 2011, returning to her home town of Cork in Ireland, where she handled public relations before moving on.
Her current role is listed as a freelance feature writer for the Irish Examiner.
The term has not been specific and a staff source said that the job had not been advertised. McCarthy was a favourite with Radio New Zealand bosses who liked her Irish brogue. In 2008 she was at the centre of a storm over plagiarism over some of her on air activities.
RNZ network manager John Howson told staff in a memo McCarthy "has decided that the lure of a New Zealand summer is just irresistible and she'll be returning in November."
Her first role will be to re-visit the challenges of Summer Noelle from 9-midday during the summer schedule.
"Then she'll take up a similar role to the one she filled prior to her departure last year - back-filling as a floating day-part producer and presenter in Auckland," Howson said.
By John Drinnan | Email John
New Zealand Herald

Footnote:
This is excellent news I reckon; a superb broadcaster, especially widely read, I always enjoyed talking books with her on Summer Noelle, a programme I will be glad to have back. And of course I LOVE that accent. My Beattie grandfather emigrated here as a teenager from Ireland in the early 1900's. I guess he had a similar brogue?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes, it will be good to have her back
BookbrainzAnges

Keri Hulme said...

I left one before!

What I wrote was, more or less:

"Noelle was one of the best prepared & insightful interviewers I have ever had the pleasure of talking with
- and I've done hundreds of interviews."

Nau mai Noelle!

ZL2AIM Ian said...

You have made NZ Radio come alive with your Summer Noelle.
Your brogue does not sound from Co. Cork but a mixture of Irish lilts. (But I am biased having spent the first 20 years of my life in Ireland.)
Your in depth interviews are brilliant. Stay away from Cork and remain in the Land of the Long White Cloud.
Slainte
Ian MacQuillan