Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Huge job' of restoring Reed's Building starts in Dunedin

By Debbie Porteous on Wed, 8 Aug 2012
Lawrie Forbes thinks he may really have done it this time.
Because he could not stand by and see it turned into a car park, the developer of historic Dunedin buildings bought a dilapidated 115-year-old building which generates no income, has no tenants and potentially needs hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on it.
"The scariest point was when I realised I bought it. I said to myself what the [heck] am I doing?
"But no-one's told me I'm mental yet. Well, not to my face anyway."
Mr Forbes took ownership this week of the sagging Reed's Building, at the corner of Jetty and Crawford Sts, next to Sammy's.
"We would've had another Century Theatre [a cinema which used to stand where there is now a car park at the corner of Jetty and Princes Sts] otherwise, and I just couldn't handle it. These buildings are what Dunedin is all about."
The Reed's Building is so named because it was the headquarters of what is now called Reed Publishing, from 1925 until 1940, when A.H. Reed closed the branch and retired.
Full story at ODT



Part of the south wall of the building, at the corner of Jetty and Crawford Sts.
Part of the south wall of the building, at the corner of Jetty and Crawford Sts.

No comments: