Friday, August 17, 2012

Bob Graham's "A Bus Called Heaven" wins the CBCA Picture Book of the Year Award!


Bob Graham, one of Australia's best-loved children's writers and illustrators, has been honoured by the Children's Book Council of Australia – his latest book, A Bus Called Heaven, has won the CBCA award for Picture Book of the Year 2012.

"I am really happy that 'Heaven' has won the CBCA Picture Book Award,” Bob said in a phone call. "I never dreamed this would happen when I first started the book."

A Bus Called Heaven follows the story of an abandoned bus, Heaven, which appears on the side of a street. Soon, Heaven becomes a vibrant part of the community, bringing an entire town together ­– and helping a little girl named Stella find herself. The book, with its themes of inclusiveness and human rights, has also been endorsed by Amnesty International UK. 

So how did Heaven come about?
"It started life as a scribbled picture on my desk. I made a picture of a young girl on tiptoe looking into a window. I then drew the window as part of a bus, and put a destination sign up front.

"I looked at the picture, stroked my chin and asked myself just where this might be. I then located it on a busy road not far from where I live. 'I need some curious people around the bus,' I said to my dog Maggie. She never replied.
"But to my surprise a story started to appear.
"I’m making a new book now and still have a word with Maggie from time to time, but she’s not all that interested – just wants me to throw her ball down the hallway for her."

Congratulations to Bob on winning this award – and on creating such a gorgeous, heart-warming picture book. 

From the Walk-a-Book blog at  Walker Books Australia 

No comments: