A fisherman and a fishmonger, a slave and a goddess, a princess and a werewolf...
Friday, November 18, 2011
Two curiously good books from Gecko Press - for both kids and adults
PUBLISHED: 18 November 2011
Age 0 to infinity
200 pages 240 x 180mm
Hardback with dustjacket NZD$37.99 - Gecko Press
Real, mythical and imaginary people come together in this stunning picture book.
Each figure is juxtaposed with another on the opposite page, see images below. These relationships are often funny and surprising; sometimes the connection is obvious, other times it takes a bit of thinking.
· Award-winning French artist
· This book won the Goldene Letter for Best Book Design in the World at the 2009 Leipzig Bookfair
· Exquisite production – linen hardcover with double-sided dustjacket
· Great for the art/design book market as well as for children; from toddlers to teenagers to art-lovers
Blexbolex is a French comics artist and illustrator. Born Bernard Granger in Aurillac, he studied screen printing at the School of Fine Arts in Angoulême.
WHY I CHOSE THIS BOOK
‘Like Seasons, People is a book to ponder over, to enjoy both for its visual gorgeousness and for me, for its quirkiness. I enjoy that genie is next to hypnotist: that soldier is next to hunter, and that secretary is next to yeti! Children love it, too.’
Julia Marshall, publisher
by Ewa Solarz and illustrated by Aleksandra & Daniel Mizieliński
PUBLISHED: 4 November 2011
Age 8 to infinity
205 x 205mm 168 pages
Hardback $39.99 -- Gecko Press
The story of design in a nutshell.
D.E.S.I.G.N. is a fascinating review of 69 of the most innovative household items from the past 150 years - from the classic to the most crazy.
These are icons of design from the most eminent designers in the world, from the ‘Le Corbusier’ chair by Philippe Starck, to the ‘Puddle Vase’ by Aalto.
Through light and witty descriptions, colorful anecdotes and bold illustrations (two examples below), D.E.S.I.G.N. entertains, amazes and teaches us about the origins, aesthetics and form of objects that surround us.
· Designers include: Charles Rennie Macintosh; Alvar Aalto; Arne Jacobsen; Charles & Ray Eames; Philippe Starck; Frank Gehry; and many others
· Designs span 1859 to 2009
· Objects include: chairs; tables; beds; an orange juicer; shelves and storage; a bath; lights; and much more
· Equally suitable for children and adults
· Following on from the popular and highly well-received book H.O.U.S.E.
Ewa Solarz studied Art History at Warsaw University in Poland. For many years she worked as a journalist for the Polish magazine, House & Interior (Dom&Wnętrze). D.E.S.I.G.N. is her first book.
Aleksandra Machowiak and Daniel Mizielinski graduated from the Academy of Fine Arts in Warsaw, Poland in 2008. They have their own graphic design business called Hipopotam Studio. They wrote and illustrated H.O.U.S.E. (Gecko Press, 2010).