Monday, April 16, 2007


TRENDY BUT CASUAL by Paula Morris Penguin NZ
Following my enthusiasm for this title last week I was delighted to have my view confirmed when I read the fulsome review by Jolisa Gracewood in the latest issue of the NZ Listener (April 21).

Here is a brief exerpt from the Gracewood's review:

"Perhaps the most compelling element is the location, location, location: Morris vivdly evokes the ur-city in all its hectic glory. I especially like the grimy Lower East Side loft, full of poseurs and performance artists and random wildlife, that is the scene of both Jane's greatest humiliation and her most glorious triumph. And Morris is excellent on the detail of city life. Whether her characters are crossing the street or just coming home to their apartments, you know they're in Manhattan."

I am with Gracewood on this one, and she should know, she lives just to the north of NYC in Connecticut.

This novel is a huge departure in style and content for Morris when compared to her two earlier novels, but I think she is on to a winner.

No comments: