Wednesday, April 11, 2007


THE YEAR OF MAGICAL THINKING

This heartbreakingly beautiful story by Joan Didion (4th Estate 2005 NZ$34) probably affected me more than any other book I read in 2005. Our copy has since been loaned to many friends and members of our family and without exception all have been moved by it. I rate it as a truly great piece of writing.
This morning I had an e-mail from my daughter in New York who alerted me to the fact that the book has been made into a play featuring Vanessa Redgrave and that there was a most interesting review in the New York Times Art section of 30 March. If you would like to read the review, and I warmly recommend it then use this link.

The picture of Joan Didion above is by Robert Birnbaum and is taken from her excellent Wikipedia website.


The picture of Vanessa Redgrave, right, is taken from her Wikipedia website.

No comments: