Thursday, April 19, 2007


GREAT EXCITEMENT, AND FRUSTRATION !

We are off to Australia for a few days holiday today, hopefully I will still be able to make daily postings to my blog. This is my first time overseas since I started Beattie's Book Blog last October so if there are no postings over the next little while you will no I am experiencing difficulties!

As we are about to depart I have just received a review copy of a children’s book that has taken America by storm and is due to arrive in this part of the world late next month.

THE INVENTION OF HUGO CABRET by Brian Selznick, Scholastic Press, NY.

Because of its size and weight, think telephone directory crossed with a brick, there is no way I can take the book with me so it is going to be left behind with other books awaiting reading.

But just let me tell you a little about it which may give you an inkling as to why it has created such a phenomenal level of interest.

This from the inside cover flap:

“Orphan, clock keeper, and thief, Hugo lives in the walls of a busy Paris railway station, where his survival depends on secrets and anonymity.
With 284 pages of original drawings, and combining elements of picture book, graphic novel, and film the author breaks open the novel form to create an entirely new reading experience. Here is a stunning , cinematic tour de force from a boldly innovative storyteller, artist, and bookmaker.”

Wow, I can’t wait to read/view it.

The author says, “ its not exactly a novel, and its not quite a picture book, and its not really a graphic novel, or a flip book, or a movie, but a combination of all these things.”
Not surprising to read that Warner Bros. have already acquired the screen rights.

Watch this space, I’ll be back with more in a while.

No comments: