Thursday, May 09, 2013

A sad day - Whitcoulls to stop accepting Booksellers Tokens - The Bookman is disgusted by this decision


Announcement from Booksellers NZ

As from May 31, Whitcoulls stores will no longer redeem Booksellers Tokens or accept Booksellers Exchange Cards.  

However, Booksellers Tokens and Exchange Cards will still be available for both purchase and redemption from more than 200 independent and Paper Plus Stores nationwide.

Booksellers NZ Chief Executive, Lincoln Gould said, “Booksellers Tokens were first introduced in 1949/50 and have long been a popular gift for New Zealand booklovers.
“They are heavily used by schools and other educational and corporate organisations as prizes and employee incentives.

“One of the most important aspects of Booksellers Tokens is that they are guaranteed – we retain a fund that covers all unredeemed tokens.  Just yesterday a Wairarapa bookstore was presented with Booksellers Tokens that were 25 years old, which were still good to use because they came from a time before our Tokens had an expiry date.”

See a full list of stores that redeem Booksellers Tokens.

Footnote:

As far asThe Bookman is concerned this is another selfish and short-sighted action by Whitcoulls. When Whitcoulls  announced last year that they would no longer contribute to trade sales figures I said on this blog that I would never darken any of their doors again and I have not done so. Previously I bought all my stationery there and quite a few books as well.

This further mean-spirited move by them vindicates my earlier decision and I will from now on urge all book buyers to stay away from Whitcoulls. Instead I suggest they should find a good local indie bookstore, there are many of them, and give them their business.


May I also amend the Shakespearian quote, " a plague on both your houses" to read instead "a plague on all your branches" and cast it out there to those who own and manage Whitcoulls.

Finally a note to publishers that I will no longer review/feature/promote any titles that are available exclusively from Whitcoulls. So if you do these sorts of deals with Whitcoulls in future please do not send copies to me for review.

7 comments:

Siobhan Harvey said...

Sad news indeed

Keri Hulme said...

Tautoko Bookman Beattie!

I used to give my grandneices & nephews booksellers' tokens from Whitcoulls. I stopped, some time ago, when I
also cancelled my Whitcoulls account (which I'd had since I was 16, & the whole shebang was Whitcombe & Tombs...)

V. shortly, Whitcoulls will be irrelevant, and independent bookstores & Paper Plus (and probably The Warehouse) will rule the roost-

Mark Hubbard said...

Showing my ignorance, but why have Whitcoulls done this? I don't understand their business rationale.

Stephanie Soper said...

Gosh that is so incredibly selfish of them! Good on you Bookman! I won't be going through their doors again either!

Anonymous said...

Go Paper Plus who have immense enthusiasm for their trade, in Glenfield at least.
I am a little shocked about Whitcoulls withdrawing from Nielsens Book Data and Booksellers tokens. Just looked at the limitations of Whitcoulls gift cards and was really shocked:
http://www.whitcoulls.co.nz/gift-cards/

_Ah well, I will continue to go there only when they are getting rid of stock for $2-5. I equate their style of business with loss leading supermarkets. A shame because there is a good side - occasional publishing of NZ authors as in 'Read me another one please!'
Bookbrainz

Geoff Churchman said...

does Whitcoulls' management really know what they are trying to achieve? A chain of "McBooks with fries" with different signage but othewise identical to Paper Plus? That formula will see their final demise and reasonably soon. The good independents will then rule.

Anonymous said...

Whilst this decision further increases the gap between Whitcoulls of new and Whitcoulls of old, as a former retailler it makes no business sense to accept the vouchers unless you are selling them. If Booksellers had the same redemption value as is industry standard for Whitcoulls I am amazed they have taken them for so long. Lets face it they are now a shop who sells some books alongside all the tat, they are hardly Waterstones or Daunts. By god the staff will get some grief though. Nice one Ian.