Monday, May 13, 2013

Second Fabulous Poetry Competition on NZ Poetry Box

For The Second Fabulous Poetry Competition on NZ Poetry Box I am inviting schools to submit a school entry of 25 poems. The winning school will get a limited-edition print of an illustration from my sophisticated picture book Aunt Concertina and Her Niece Evalina courtesy of Gow Langsford Gallery, Auckland. The original paintings were done by my partner, artist Michael Hight, and these prints are as gorgeous as the paintings (see below for more images and further background). The prize print is of Tokyo with a horde of things hiding in the cityscape to find.

 Hight, Michael - Aunt Concertina and her niece Evalina 13, 2/25, 2009 - Pigment inks on Hahnemuhle photo rag paper - 610 x 405mm - Value $520
I will post  the winning 25 poems and write about each one of them on the blog. My favourite five entries from across the board (not just the winning school) will receive a copy of Aunt Concertina and Her Niece Evalina (courtesy of Random House) and a book voucher. I will also post these on the blog and say what I love about them. Please circulate details of the competition to any that might be interested.

Entry details
1. The competition is open to New Zealand Primary and Intermediate Schools.
2. You have two terms! The deadline is 30th September 2013 (a few days grace after the end of Term 3).
3. Please send to my postal box as I will not accept email entries.
Paula Green PO Box 95078 Swanson Waitakere 0653
4. Please make sure each poem has the child's first name, age, year and name of school        written on it (on the back is fine).
5.  Poems can be on any topic, in any form, but no more than 20 lines.
6. Poems can also be hand written and illustrated. I will scan these to post on the blog. I would rather not have students lift images from the internet to use as illustrations as I don't want to face copyright issues.
7. I am keen to see a school entry that includes a range of ages.
7. Any questions to paulajoygreen@gmail.com or post your question on the blog for all to see the answers.
Aunt Concertina and her Niece Evalina
I told the stories of Aunt Concertina and her niece Evalina (and the magical kite!) to my girls when they were little and every night I thought I had told a good episode that I would write down the next day; but every morning I was full of mother tiredness and didn't write a single word. 
(for rest of post and more images see blog:  www.nzpoetrybox.wordpress.com)


No comments: