Books can be the best, most thoughtful gift someone can receive. 

Five best-selling authors who also are mothers -- Anne Lamott, Jodi Picoult, Debbie Macomber, Jennifer Weiner and Lisa Scottoline -- tell USA TODAY about the best book they've ever received for Mother's Day
---
Debbie Macomber, author of Starting Now:

"The best book I ever received for Mother's Day came from my own mother. The first year I was a mother, mom gave me a cookbook put together by the Women's Auxiliary of the Veteran of Foreign Wars, of which she was a member. It wasn't so much the spiral-bound book as the message that came with it and the importance of food in the family. Because mom had contributed to the cookbook she was sharing part of herself with me, passing down the heritage of recipes. In her own way this cookbook told me the importance of making meal times family events. It spoke of how often food and the effort that went behind the preparation were a mother's way of expressing love. A packed lunch (often with a note included), after-school snacks, a favorite birthday dinner. I still have that cookbook tucked away in a bookcase with an accumulation of others, but this one from mom and her friends at the VFW will always hold a special place in my heart for the silent message that came with it. Who would ever have thought a cookbook could convey so much?"
More