Monday, March 04, 2013

Ann Patchett on books’ future: “I think we’ll be just fine.”


Ann Patchett on books’ future: “I think we’ll be just fine.” photo

writer Ann Patchett
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer - PW

Talking to Ann Patchett is less like an interview, more like catching up with an old friend. She’s one of those writers who never seems to get a bad review, and deservedly so. A graduate of Sarah Lawrence College, she wrote three early novels which garnered prizes and critical acclaim (“The Magician’s Assistant,” “The Patron Saint of Liars” and “Taft”). Her fourth, “Bel Canto,” was an enormous hit (1 million copies sold, translated into 30 languages), and the string of successes continued with “State of Wonder.”
She opened Parnassus Books in Nashville a year ago and has seen it become a considerable success.
Patchett will be the speaker at the annual Palm Beach County Literacy Coalition luncheon at the Kravis Center on Friday. For reservations call 561-921-4663.

Our conversation:
How’s the bookstore doing?
Fantastic. It’s a total joy, and that is the truth. And that has everything to do with the fact that I don’t work there. I am the benevolent overlord; I come in and do my star turn and walk out again.
Actually, I really do play an important role in the store: I do all the publicity. If anybody wants an interview, I do it. And we do get a lot of publicity. And the other thing is I can get any writer to come to the bookstore. And that’s where the money is - big events. We are so fortunate that I have a big Rolodex or I know your publicist or your editor or your sister and I can get people to come.

A friend of mine thinks that independent bookstores are coming back as Barnes & Noble falters because of Amazon.
I like to think I originated that theory, but I will share it with your friend. The superstores killed the bookstore, Amazon killed the superstores and now people are saying they want the things that a bookstore can offer.
The upsurge of the independent bookstore is just starting, but I don’t know how anybody opens a small business. I had no knowledge of the inner workings of a small business. I had to guarantee the rent for five years; I had to send a personal financial statement to Random House and Viking - who publish me - in order for them to send me books. If you want to start a small business, get yourself a novelist backer.

Do you get involved with the stock, what’s displayed, what isn’t?
This is a shrine to books that I love. “Act One” by Moss Hart is right in the front of the store. I am not about selling new hardbacks, I am about selling books that I read and love. We are thoughtfully curated. I have input. The only thing I don’t want to see are inflammatory political books in the front of the store.

- See more at: http://www.pbpulse.com/news/entertainment/ann-patchett-on-books-future-i-think-well-be-just-/nWb95/#sthash.tEvgA4Oj.dpuf

No comments: