Monday, March 25, 2013

NZ Poetry Box



Cheers to all those children who have been trying NZ Poetry Box challenges. This week we are still celebrating the writing of Margaret Mahy. On Monday I will tell you what I love about Margaret's long poem, A Summer Saturday Morning and later I will post Tierney's poem pick (congratulations!). On Tuesday I will give you a perfectly playful poetry tip, on Wednesday it will be Poetry Box Play time, on Thursday I will tell you what I love about Margaret's story Mr Whistler. Easter caught up on me so I will post the winners and my favourites in the sound-poem challenge sometime after the deadline on Thursday (5pm).
I won't be posting over Easter (back on Wednesday April 3) but here's a little holiday challenge: write a poem using no more than 20 words about your favourite place to go at the weekends. Make the place come alive with the words you pick. Send to paulajoygreen@gmail.com Include your name, age, year, name of school and teacher. HAPPY EASTER! Send to me by Tuesday 5pm but I will post any I like over the long weekend (get Mum or Dad to help you send them).
Last week I invited you to tell me which of Margaret's poems you love and why (Tierney did a great job on this!). Perhaps this week you could tell me which of her books you love. If you are like me you will have trouble picking because you like so many of them.
I used to read A Summer Saturday Morning with my girls when they were young. There are two stars in this long poem: rhythm and repetition. These two stars make it a fabulous poem to read aloud by yourself, with your family or class, to your dogs or your cats.
Paula Green
PO Box 95078 Swanson Waitakere 0653

No comments: