Thursday, October 13, 2011
STORIES OF THE WILD WEST GANG
‘These are delightful stories of Michael, the son of buttoned-down fun-hating parents, getting down and dirty with his mad cousins, and their devil-may-care parents.
The Wests are all about old fashioned, innocent fun, their days packed with picnics and pandemonium, mud and mayhem, not a battery-operated toy or computer screen in sight.
These are rollicking reads, perfect for an adult to enjoy with a child, or for newly confident readers to chortle over.’
John McIntyre, The Children’s Bookshop/Radio NZ reviewer
· Ten stories about the incorrigible West family
· Updated line drawings by Trevor Pye at the start of each story
· Hilarious antics in every story
· Real-world settings, with a focus on the outdoors
· Great for boys and ‘reluctant’ readers
· The stories have been out of print for years
· Joy Cowley says that she often hears that the Wild West books are favourites of many readers, but they hadn’t been able to buy them until now
· Teachers’ notes available
Ages 10+ Gecko Press - Trade paperback with flaps $29.99
About the author
Joy Cowley’s books are loved by children all around the world. Joy has been awarded the OBE for her services to children’s writing, the AW Reed Award for Contribution to NZ Literature, and the Prime Minister’s Prize for Literary Achievement. After many years living in the Marlborough Sounds, Joy now lives in Wellington.
Snake and Lizard (Gecko Press, 2007) won the 2008 NZ Post Book of the Year; the follow-up, Friends: Snake and Lizard won the Children’s Choice (Junior Fiction category) at the 2010 NZ Post Children’s Book Awards. In 2011, Gecko Press published the story collection