Wednesday, July 06, 2011

R.I.P. John Reed


I have just learned from John's daughter Rebecca of the death of her father, publisher John Reed. This is news that saddens me greatly and I extend my deepest sympathy to Rebecca and her mother Inga.

Here is Rebecca's message:

Yesterday my beautiful Dad lost his brave fight.
Dad was everything to mum and I and we are obviously devastated.
Out of respect to Dad, the warehouse and office will be shut on 
Monday  but following that we will be continuing to make 
John Reed Books a company that he would be proud of.

John Reed was born in Wellington and was of course  the son
of A.W. Reed, the noted NZ publisher author and co-founder of
AH & AW Reed.
I will have more to say about John later.

Footnote:
Rebecca has just advised me the funeral arrangements which are as follows:

Monday 11 July
1pm
White Lady Chapel
18 Raglan Street
Manly

Followed by:
Manly Warringah Rugby Park (Rat Park)
1047 Pittwater Road
North Narrabeen



3 comments:

Andrew, Dymocks, Ponsonby said...

12 or so years ago New Holland Publishers bought Kowhai Publishing. During the handover Bruce Campbell asked what I wanted to do with the Australian distribution arrangement with John Reed. As an ex Reed staffer I was intrigued. We got on the telephone to John and agreed to give him a go. While we did eventually distribute in Australia via our sister New Holland company, John became a friend to all of us at New Holland. I remember him being very pleased that we republsihed some of his father's books with the encouragement of Ray Richards. Every time we met at awards or other functions there was always a warm hand shake. RIP John!

Andrew
Dymocks Ponsonby

Gavin McLean said...

I had the pleasure of meeting John on several occasions while writing the Reed history (and of reading his comments on the draft of the book). In our first interview we went on so long that the family eventually had to stop us rabiting on about about books, authors and editors. It was a delight to share the Reed centennial events with John and Inga.

Paul Greenberg said...

Many thanks for bringing this very sad news to my attention. John was very much AH & AW Reed Australia during my tenure at AH & AW Reed NZ and I will always remember my meeting with him when I went to Australia to promote Alister Taylor publications and my first (obvious) call was on John to hopefully receive some advice/solace in selling Taylor’s publications in Australia. In John’s trademark, affable way he advised that his best advice was for me to take the next flight back to NZ….